VISA Card – Santander 1plus
This charge credit card by Santander in Germany is free and no annual fees are charged. Registering for the Santander 1plus credit card is very easy: it can be done online within a few minutes. Please note that you have to be a resident of Germany to purchase the 1plus Visa Card. If you get rejected you might want to try a different VISA card, such as the comdirect VISA Card or the Hanseatic VISA GenialCard.
Online banking is possible, you can also register for a free mobileTAN service and download the free Santander Mobile Banking App for quick and easy online banking.
What’s great about this German credit card is that payments and cash withdrawals do not incur a fee.
- No yearly fee
- No fees for worldwide cash withdrawals and payments
- Easy registration online
- Free 24 hour phone support (+49 (0) 21619060599) 7 days a week
- Free card for your partner
- Free 24 hour card blocking service (+49 (0) 21612729889) in case of loss or theft
|Credit Card Type||
Charge Credit Card
|Foreign Currency Payment||
Prerequisites in order to register for the credit card:
- (Registered) Residency in Germany (non-EU citizens need to send in their German residence permit)
- Any German bank account (see our overview of free German bank accounts here)
- At least 18 years old of age
- Sufficient credit score (Schufa)
- Valid mobile phone number (get a free German SIM card here)
If your application is rejected, just try the alternative free VISA cards below.
Advantages of the credit card are:
- 0€ fee for payments in foreign currencies, if the shop you use the card at accepts Visa
- Cash withdrawal abroad is free with this German credit card; surcharges will be refunded by Santander
- Annual percentage rate of 13.98% (with partial payment only)
- 24 hour customer service via phone
- worldwide 1% discount at gas stations (conditions can be found on the bank’s homepage)
- 5% discount on travel bookings (offered by Urlaubsplus GmbH)
- Your partner can register for a free additional card via a post office (identification necessary)
This German credit card is a good choice when you are traveling a lot within and outside the European Union.
Disadvantages of the card might be that your permanent address has to be in Germany. That means you need to be officially registered in Germany with the Bürgeramt before you can order this free credit card.
Also, Santander will not provide you with additional insurances such as overseas health insurance or Kaufschutzversicherung (protection of purchased goods). Services like that are included with some other credit cards in Germany, such as American Express. In addition, Apple Pay or Google Pay is not yet possible when using the Santander Visa 1plus credit card.
Other VISA credit cards: