Making a car insurance claim in Germany
It is advisable to file your claims within 2 weeks of the accident. Asa policyholder, you will have to send the relevant information to your insurer and if there is more information that they need, they will let you know. Most cases provide that the claims should be resolved within 3 months. The cost of the claims is arranged directly with companies involved by your insurer, in this case the companies involved are auto garage repairs.
Accident incidents requires that you do the following:
- Take the details of the other parties involved in the accident and give them yours too.
- Take pictures of all the damages as a result of the accident.
- Fill in the accident report form to be submitted to your insurer.
- Get the contacts of any witnesses of the accident.
- Contact the police if the accident resulted in injuries or if you knocked a parked car.
- Contact paramedics in case of serious injuries.
Instances where the other party doesn’t provide you with insurance details, you can provide the license plate number to the central Office of car insurers and they will provide you with required details of insurance claims.
Factors to consider when choosing a car insurance in Germany
Shop around for offers that completely cover your needs and comply with your finances before deciding on which car insurance policy you need. Below is the list of factors to put into consideration:
- Insure your cars with the same car insurance company if you have a number of vehicles.
- Check on customers feedback for the company’s reputation.
- Ask about discounts offered and No-claims bonus.
- To what extent does the policy cover and at what cost.
- How fast and honest is the claim process.
- Does the company offer a breakdown assistance policy?